Thursday, September 10, 2026

Eight Values of Free Expression

Eight Values of Free Expression 

Individual Self-Fulfillment 

Creating the space to think | Julian Stodd's Learning Blog

    Individual Self Fulfillment is the lifelong process of achieving your deepest desires and goals, willingly and freely, reaching your fullest potential and capacity, and living a satisfying life defined by your own authentic values and morals, disregarding external and/or government expectations within a society. 

    I chose this particular value of free expression because I think it truly resonates with our society today. I think less government involvement in people's personal lives and having the right to autonomy is crucial to people ultimately getting to live the life they choose. 

    When I think about individual self-fulfillment, I think about having the freedom to decide what kind of life I want to live. To me, self-fulfillment means being able to make my own choices, pursue my goals, and feel like I have control over my future. However, I also think that society and government have a major impact on how much freedom people actually have to achieve self-fulfillment.


    Society influences us from a very young age. We are taught what is considered successful, acceptable, or normal. For example, society often tells us that we should go to college, get a good job, make money, buy a house, and start a family. There is nothing wrong with those things, but I think the problem happens when people feel like they have to follow the same path to be considered successful. I believe everyone should have the ability to decide what success means to them instead of feeling pressured to meet society's expectations.


    Government also plays an important role in individual self-fulfillment because it creates laws and policies that can either protect or limit people's freedom. I think one of the government's most important responsibilities is protecting individual rights. People should be able to express their opinions, practice their beliefs, choose their careers, and make decisions about their own lives as long as they are not harming others. Having these freedoms gives people more opportunities to pursue the things that make their lives meaningful.


    At the same time, I do not think individual freedom means that people should only care about themselves. Living in a society means that our choices can affect other people. For example, laws against violence and discrimination limit certain behaviors, but they also protect people's ability to live safely and freely. I think there needs to be a balance between individual freedom and the needs of society as a whole.

    

Economic opportunities are another major factor. It is difficult for someone to pursue their goals if they do not have access to education, healthcare, or basic economic opportunities. This makes me think that government has a role in creating a society where people have a fair chance to succeed. The government cannot guarantee that everyone will have the same outcome, but it can help make sure people have opportunities to work toward their own goals. 


    Overall, I believe individual self-fulfillment depends on both personal choices and the society we live in. I am responsible for making decisions about my own life, but the laws, culture, and opportunities around me can make those decisions easier or harder. As a college student, I am still figuring out what I want my future to look like.


 I think a good society is one that gives people enough freedom to create their own path while also making sure that everyone's basic rights are respected. To me, that balance between individual freedom and responsibility to others is an important part of what makes a society successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Historical Anti Slavery Activist: Abby Kelley Foster

 The Woman Who Split The Abolitionist Movement And Never Apologized For It Abby Kelley Foster Good morning everyone,    My name is Abby Kell...