
The Woman Who Split The Abolitionist Movement And Never Apologized For It
Abby Kelley Foster
Some may say, “But what can one person possibly do?”
I understand that question because I have asked it myself.
My answer has always been: act.
I once said, “I have no weapon but the gospel of truth in its simplicity.” I did not have political office or great wealth. What I did have was a voice, and I decided to use it.
I have written petitions. I have raised money. I have traveled from community to community. I have spoken to people who disagreed with me. I have faced angry crowds and hostility. Yet I continued speaking.
Why?
Because I believe silence helps injustice continue.
And I do not believe that ending slavery should be postponed simply because the task is difficult.
We have to create a society where freedom is not reserved for some people while denied to others. I believe African Americans deserve not merely freedom from slavery, but the same rights and opportunities as white Americans. That belief is central to the abolitionist cause.
So tonight, I am asking this community to consider what side of history we want to stand on.
Do we want to defend a system simply because it has existed for a long time?
Or do we want to challenge it because we recognize that human beings deserve freedom?
I have learned that change does not happen because people sit quietly and wait for someone else to act. It happens because ordinary people decide that they will no longer accept injustice.
Years ago, I said, “Action, action, is eloquence!” I believe those words apply to the fight against slavery as well. It is not enough to say that slavery is unfortunate. It is not enough to privately disagree with it. If we truly believe slavery is wrong, then our actions must demonstrate that belief.
So I ask you tonight: Will you speak? Will you petition? Will you support the abolitionist cause? Will you challenge the people and institutions that continue to defend slavery?
The choice is yours.
But I believe that someday, people will look back on this period and ask how a nation that claimed to value liberty could allow slavery to continue.
I want us to be able to say that when we recognized the injustice, we did not turn away.
We acted.
We spoke.
And we fought for freedom.
Thank you.
Sources:
https://www.ebsco.com/research-starters/biography/abby-kelley-foster
https://socialwelfare.library.vcu.edu/womens-suffrage/kelley-abby/
AI DISCLOSURE: AI was used to help shape my blog post into a professional speech. I used Claude AI to help format my research into a script for my town hall meeting which I then incorporated into my blog post.
No comments:
Post a Comment